5
I woke with a start. Instead of the rough, familiar sheets, I felt cold steel pressed against my face. Icy chills crept through my clothes and penetrated deep into my skin. I pulled my knees up to my chin and wrapped my arms around them in an attempt to keep warm.
I heard the sound of hard boots on the metal floor, each step coming closer to my cell. They stopped in front of my door, and, after a few moments, I heard a metallic beep and the door slid open. Dasa Hale, the “Secretary” of my work camp came in. I quickly stood and struggled to keep my face emotionless as defiant anger boiled in me.
“Well, Maarplot,” her voice was hard, “are you going to cooperate, or am I going to have to get drastic?”
You could never do anything to harm me, Hale.
“Well, Maarplot?” she said, her voice stretched.
I will never cooperate with you, Regime Scum. Never in all my life!
“Answer me!” she boomed
Never! She raised her hand and I braced myself for her to strike. Her blow fell hard across my jaw. I winced as pain rocketed through my head.
“Now will you cooperate?” she demanded. I remained silent, holding my jaw and trying to keep the fire out of my eyes. I could feel her anger even without trying.
“Maarplot, I want an answer, now.” I said nothing. My face was turned away from her, but out of the corner of my eye, I saw her reaching slowly for a holster strapped halfway down her thigh. Josh it! I thought she can’t… she won’t… will she? For a moment fear overcame my anger. She pulled a shining black object out of the small holster.
“Maarplot, you’ve been warned.” She pressed one of the brightly coloured buttons on the phaser, but I couldn’t tell which one.
In that moment of distress, I stabbed my mind into hers. I felt her rage, her drive, but then… something that made me focus. I felt her fear. As I focused on the fear, I felt all her imperfections, her inadequacies. And, for the first time, I realized that Dasa Hale was human. Not just human, though, a person. With thoughts, feelings, fears and all other human qualities.
“I will cooperate, Lt. Hale.” I said softly as the realization struck me.
“What?” she was shocked at my sudden submission after my defiance.
“I will cooperate.” She looked at me in silence for a moment, then slipped the phaser back into its holster.
“Come with
We walked quickly down the metal halls and to a door.
“From here I go no farther. Go through the door, someone else will meet you there.” I walked through the door and was nearly blinded by the sun’s first rays.
“Come with me. Our work is this way.” I looked down at a girl of about twelve. She turned and walked slowly forward I noticed that her hand rested constantly on a small groove on a low wall on one side of the narrow path. Curious, I slid into her mind, but was utterly shocked.
What are you doing here? Her thoughts blocked me from going any further.
I… I… I was curious about who you are.
My name is Abi. Yours is Danae. Terror struck me; she was the most powerful telepath I had ever met. I quickly buried every thought I had of the Underground and Tophat.
I know about the Underground. You can trust me. She allowed me to search her mind, I found honesty.
All right. I slowly took down the barriers around the thoughts of the Underground. Only the Underground. Abi mentally rolled her eyes, but continued walking forward. In a moment we came to a section of the old complex. She stopped.
“Here is where we work.” She pointed to a pile of explosives near one of the half-crumbled walls. “Use those, but be careful.” I will join the Underground, and help you find Tophat, if I can.
Very well, and thank you. She nodded, then walked slowly toward the explosives. I followed her over and took one of the bars. I watched the others for a moment, then I walked over to the wall and looked for one of the niches drilled in it. I set the explosive in the crack and pressed a small red button. “COVER!” I shouted and quickly ran backwards a few steps. The explosive beeped, loudly and more frantic with each second, then detonated. Among the thuds of the pieces of wall, I heard a scream and a groan.
Josh it!! My mind shrieked. I ran into the smoky haze of dust and frantically began searching for a mind screaming in pain.
Help!!! I hear the scream and focused on it, stretching to find the person who had called. I ran toward the place that it had come from and furiously began pulling the rocks off the person. I soon was able to see that she was a girl of about sixteen.
“Help, someone, please help me” she moaned.
“Shh, shh, it’s all right. I’m gonna help you. Just wait a second.” I reassured her. I got all the rocks off her and began to look her over.
“Josh it,” I hissed, “this doesn’t look good.” I stretched my hands out over her, starting at the legs.
“What are you doing?” she asked.
“Shh, never mind. Just lie still.” I closed my eyes and began to pull her pain onto my body. I winced and almost cried out as my legs broke, but I knew that it would soon be over and moved slowly up to her abdomen. Tears sprung to my eyes and began to slip out between my tight shut eyelids. My stomach contracted and the pain was beginning to get hard to bear. I kept moving and felt my legs slowly beginning to mend, the destruction to her internal organs was great and my strength was getting taxed. I pushed on. My teeth sunk into my lip and I continued moving, several of the girl’s ribs had been broken and I sucked in my breath as I felt mine crack and one of them punctured my lung. I continued moving my hands up her body till I had taken all of her wounds and she was able to stand and move. The pain coursing through me was nearly unbearable. I lay on the ground, surrounded in rubble, trying hard to breathe normally. After about ten minutes I stood, almost everything had healed and I continued with the work, but the girl had disappeared.
I knew that I had broken every code of conduct. So many people had seen me. One of them was sure to be at least slightly loyal to the Regime, I knew that I was going to be reported, and I knew the consequences. But she was human. She did not deserve to die. I sighed.
Great job, Danae, you moved too quickly again. That’s another night in solitary for you, at least. But she needed help. I couldn’t just let her die. Or could I have? Maybe. But maybe not. I don’t know. I never know anything these days. I felt a small mind poke into mine and was startled out of my thoughts.
You did what was right. Abi said. That was my sister. Thank you.
You’re welcome… once again I was shocked by how strong this girl was.
She may report you. You know what they will do to you?
I think so.
Then I pity you. I pity all Empaths. She stalked out of my mind, and I was left speechless and alone.
* Isaiah 53:7
So anyhow, let me know what you think! PLEASE, I really want responses to this.
2 comments:
*tear* I love it when the hero sacrafices themselves....reminds me of the most heroic love story ever lived....very nice lovie. I could almost feel it myself :) (and I could clearly see that action in my minds eye. Which is the mark of a good piece of writing)
~Elfy Child...or me ;)
OH! Abi is pronounced with a short A... should have said that eariler. sorry folks.
Post a Comment