1
The steamy room was full of people waiting in line for their dinners. Near the front of the line stands a black-haired girl of about sixteen. She was trying not to get pushed into the row of dirty tables by the hungry, eager crowd. A few people ahead of her in line she spied a head covered in spiked, black hair. Tophat! What’s he doing here? She thinks, shocked and frightened. She quickly sends out the thought. I needed to talk to you, came the reply. “MOVE ALONG!” a gruff, cockney voice shouts, and the impatient people in the line shove forward towards the table lined with bowls of grimy, black soup. Danae inches up to the table and humbly takes her bowl of soup. She closes her eyes and then quickly opens them with a heavenward glance. She quickly skirted through the crowd to the table labeled “M”. She glanced past and through the maze of shoulders to the “B” table. Why isn’t Tophat there? Oh no. God, please no, he didn’t get caught did he? Her thoughts were interrupted bTophat’s thoughts. No he didn’t. I’m at the “I” table.
Oh, why?
Cause everyone suspects a Brex to be here, not an Iiko.
Oh. Okay. I get it. What did you need to talk about?
Not here. Later. There might be others like us.
Right, Iiko.
Late that night, Tophat and Danae met in a courtyard outside of the main dormitory.
“Man, it’s good to see you, Tophat.” Danae said as she hugged the tall boy.
“Yeah, really. Danae, the Regime is getting more and more suspicious of us.”
Danae winced. “I know, Tophat, I know, but we can’t just stop what we’re doing and let them get away with what they’re doing.”
“I know. What I’m trying to say is, I can’t come here anymore. Ever. It’s too dangerous for us to be seen together.”
“What do you mean?”
“They think I’m the leader of the Rebel Underground, if they see us together too much, they’ll soon figure out that we’re in this together, maybe even that you’re the leader, then the price will be on your head, not mine. I can’t let that happen to you.”
“Why not? Why should you be the main suspect? I’m the leader.”
“Don’t you remember the social codes? The ones before the Regime took over?”
“Well, yes. A little.”
“The men are supposed to protect the women. I’m a man. You’re a woman. You already have the weight of freeing the world on your shoulders, you don’t need a price on your head, too.”
Danae put her head in her hands and sighed. She tried to keep her rushing, swirling thoughts from going out of control and flying into Tophat’s mind.
“Danae, I’m not an Empath. What are you feeling?”
“Confusion. Pain. Fear….” Danae looked down, unable to continue.
“And?”
She looked up at Tophat, tears sparkling in her eyes. “And… Love.” A look of shock crossed the boy’s face.
“Danae Maarplot, feeling confusion, pain, and fear? I can’t see it. Love I can see. But the others? I don’t think she’s capable of it.”
“I am, Tophat. I am. I’m scared. Scared of being caught, but… I’m more scared of what will happen if you get caught. I won’t be able to go on without you. I…” suddenly a troupe of guards burst into the courtyard.
“There he is! There’s the leader!” the commander shouted.
“Tophat! NO!” Danae screamed “No he…” Danae was quickly silenced by an icy, warning glare from Tophat.
Two guards grabbed his arms, and the others began a process that was known as “Beating into Submission”. Each guard had a large club, that they were beating Tophat in every vulnerable spot of his body.
“Oh, God. Oh, God, Oh God.” Danae prayed quietly. “Oh God, keep him safe.” She knew all too well what the Regime did to its prisoners. Especially the Wanted prisoners. She turned to go, but before she ran she took one last, longing look at Tophat’s face.
“I Love You.” He mouthed. With those words, Danae was steeled. She turned and ran, not to the safety of her room but to the shadows of the courtyard, where she immediately began to take on his wounds.
Danae! Stop! Please? Don’t do this for me. I can handle it. Tophat’s thoughts invaded her world.
“No, Tophat. Not this time. I love you too much to let you go.” She said out loud. Just then Tophat was struck with a hard blow to the head, and all connection between the two rebels ceased. “NO! No, No. No.” Danae covered her mouth with her hands and tried to keep herself from weeping. I… love… you… Danae… were the last thoughts she heard him before the connection was broken. “No…. I love you.” Danae turned and ran to her room. She flung herself down on her bed and wept till she could weep no more.
3 comments:
next week i'll probably post the part later in the day and may take the time to type it all out, instead of cut and pasting... or at least i'll make it single spaced and make all the font right
Another note, Tophat's name is NOT Tofat. It is pronounced like two words, so it's Top Hat.
*wails* I think Tophat is the coolest. It makes me sad every time when they're beating the snot out of him.....However, the writer side of me sits bouncing in glee. Wonderfully written, as usual, dear.
-Willie
Post a Comment