Evangeline
Evangeline is one of my Pointe shoes. She was made in Thailand by the Bloch Company. Outside she is made of cream coloured satin. On the end of the box (toe) the satin is word down and frayed from almost a year of use. Through the holes in the satin, the plastered canvas that makes the box is visible. At the end of the box nearer the hole that my foot goes in, the plaster is broken and flexible. Around the hole where my foot goes, there is a canvas casing the same colour as the satin. The casing holds the thin string that tightens Evangeline around my foot. This is not what holds her on my foot, however, two crisscrossed straps of elastic sewn to the canvas on the inside do that with the help of two satin ribbons that don’t look as nice as they did when I sewed them on almost a year ago. The canvas inside her is dirty as is the leather that makes up the inner sole. The elastic is plain, pink, and ribbed and still looks fairly nice. The ribbons are a different story. They are the same colour as the shoe. The ends of them that aren’t sewn into her are painted with clear nail polish to keep them from fraying. The ends also have runs and stains. About four inches down from the end there are permanent wrinkles from where I tie them every week. From the wrinkles to the shoe the ribbons still look pretty good. The outer sole of the shoe is one piece of leather, the end near the box has a latticework design cut into it. This part of the leather is dirty because it gets the most floor time, and I don’t think the floors at Randazzo ever get washed. Where the design ends the size “4 1/2 “, is pressed into the sole, and about a half in below that is the letter “Y”. Next to the Y I have my last name written in Sharpie, in case I ever leave Evangeline at my studio. Below the Y are some numbers, the word “Bloch”, and a B made to look like a Pointe shoe when the person wearing it is En Pointe. Below that I wrote the letter “L”, because I used to always wear her on my left foot. Horizontally, near the B and Bloch, is her name: “Evangeline” printed in Sharpie on the light brown leather of the sole.
I wrote this for english, tell me what you think.
2 comments:
I think it works but you lost me when it comes to the shoe design features, but you kept me while you where describing the shoe itself and the ribbon and such.
what do you mean by the design features? like that it was made by Bloch and stuff?
Post a Comment