“Do what!?” Danae called after Abi as they scrambled through the corridors of the regime headquarters.
“Don’t have time to explain right now. We need to find the group of people who were brought in today.”
“Why and how?”
“There was a boy with them, his name was Tanner. I told him a little about what I was going to do. There were so many of them. They’re your people Danae, we can’t let them…” Abi’s voice faded off as she realized what she had done earlier. She stood, completely motionless and horrified.
“Can’t let them?” Danae prompted, irritated.
Abi shook herself out of her reflections. “Can’t let them die.” Her voice was full of passion. “We have to find them.”
Danae began slipping quickly and quietly through the halls, Abi kept her mind locked on Danae’s following her through the halls, a few steps behind.
❂
The guards at Dasa’s work camp were alerted to Abi’s absence. Dasa paced angrily in her office. This is not going to turn out well. I just hope that High General Martinet doesn’t find out. There is no way I can afford to loose my position, and I know I will if this gets out to her. The door beeped, interrupting her thoughts.
“What is it?” she demanded. The door slid open and Acasia walked into the room.
“I assume that you have heard that my sister is missing. I am truly sorry for anything that it will cost you, and I accept full responsibility. Dasa, I truly am sorry. But… I was considering, would it be possible- I mean- I think I know where she went. I could find her, we- I- could go to the High Council. I think that’s where she went. We had an argument about Maarplot last night. I think the blind chit went to find her.” She referred to her sister, annoyed.
“You said we? You expected me to go too?”
“Well, not exactly.” Acasia spoke hastily, “But… I was thinking, maybe you would. To see Cas… High General Martinet and to… explain your situation to her. Explain that it is my fault, not yours.”
Dasa frowned thoughtfully. Well… it is a good opportunity to explain things, and if Acasia is going to take the blame… “Very well. I will go with you. I will have my transport ready in half an hour.
❂
Do you know where the containment units are? Abi thought
Not exactly, why?
Because we need to find the people who were transported here.
I can try and remember the way to get there.
Good.
They walked through the halls, Danae leading the way through the camp.
Josh it! I can’t find them. Danae was frustrated. Abi reached her mind out. She grabbed hold of Tanner’s mind. The confused boy heard a voice in his mind. Tanner! Where are you? Just think. I’ll be able to hear it.
I’m… in a containment cell…
I know that. Oh never mind. I’m going to have to do something strange. Stand back from the door. Tanner moved back and Abi reached her mind into the door. She felt till she found the lock, then began pushing it. After a while, it broke and the doors came open with a groan and a whine. It opened wide enough for Tanner to squeeze out.
Now, Abi thought, I’m going to put pictures in your head. It will lead you to us. Us being myself and Danae Maarplot, the leader of the underground, now, can you see the hall in your mind?
Tanner squinted, but then recalled that it was in his mind, and closed his eyes, sure enough, the hall that he was in appeared in his mind. Yes, he thought, I can see them.
Good. Now just follow the path in your mind. You’ll come here, and be careful.
❂
Dasa and Acasia boarded Dasa’s personal transport, and they headed off for the High Council. They arrived, and with the proper authentication codes were let in to Cassandra’s office.
“Yes?” Cassandra barked, her golden eyes fixed on several screens displaying the building. “What do you want?”
Acasia spoke. “I assume that you know my sister escaped from Dasa’s camp today, Cassandra.”
“Yes. And I’m also aware that she is in this building. With that firebrand Maarplot! And a boy is coming to meet them.” Cassandra whirled around, her eyes burning with hatred. “They’re up to something. I want you two to find out what it is.” Her face changed so that it was sickeningly sweet, “Please.” A low laugh bubbled up in her throat. Acasia and Dasa nodded.
“Yes, Ma’am.” They replied, then turned and left the room, walking the halls in search of Danae, Abi, and Tanner.
❂
Tanner arrived where Abi and Danae were. He nodded towards Danae, but kept his eyes fixed on Abi. Her eyes intrigued him, because her pupils were colorless and made her eyes look as if you could see straight through her heart.
“Now, Tanner. Take us to the holding cells.” The young girl instructed. He nodded wordlessly and turned, leading them to the cells. They arrived in a matter of minutes and Abi opened the doors. The prisoners slowly made their way out of the small openings, looking in surprise at their rescuers. Once they were all out, the small tumultuous crowd gathered around Danae. She looked around, surveying their faces. Her mind ticked quickly. She caught the eye of one of them, and quickly scanned his mind.
“You.” Her eyes pierced into his.
“Yes?” the young man answered.
“Can you be a message bearer?”
“I can try, ma’am. What message and to whom?”
“’We are moving.’ And to Andrew McMaheney. Here is his picture, he’ll be easy to find.” Danae projected the picture into his head. The man nodded, then took off.
❂
Dasa and Acasia moved through the halls, looking for the three revolutionists. They soon came across the group, their eyes widened.
“What are you doing out of your units!?” Dasa demanded. Danae flicked a look to Abi, who ducked off quickly.
“We are doing something about the government. We are making our voices be heard.” Danae replied in a tone of cool passion.
“Oh really?” Dasa sneered, pulling her phaser out of its holster and aiming it toward the crowd. “My finger’s over kill, Maarplot. Do you really want me to fire it at your precious disciples?” Danae whipped a small black phaser out of her pocket. She pointed it at Dasa and hit the orange button. A beam shot out of it and hit Dasa squarely in the chest. The older woman crumpled to the ground with a stifled cry of pain. Acasia pulled a phaser out of her pocket, but Danae moved more quickly and fired again. Acasia dropped to the ground also.
“MOVE!” Danae called, her heart rushing with the tense excitement of the moment. “To the weapons stores, quickly.” She tore off down a hall, followed by about 5 of the prisoners. She came to one of the store rooms and punched the correct code into the keypad next to the door. It slid open and the six of them went in, they quickly gathered weapons of all shapes and sizes. Danae turned around after arming herself and surveyed the small group. A thrill of excitement ran through her. All her hard work was paying off. The thrill was quickly quenched by a sharp pain. Tophat was not by her side. This was their plan. Danae shook off the thought. Her eyes darkened slightly.
“Are we ready to move?” the crowd chorused an affirmative reply. “If it can be helped, do not kill. Use stun, stun two, or freeze. Avoid killing at all costs.” Danae took a deep breath, and looked up, then nodded. “Go.”
5 comments:
*whines* meh, your a big poo-head. You and your cliff hangers...so much more fun from the writer's POV....
~Digruntled Reader aka me
thank you. I love cliffhangers. they're so much fun. i can't wait to write the next part of this.
*grins* I'm so excited!!! When can we read the next part??? It was really good, sweetie. I loved it.
-Willie
when i write it, which may very well be tonight.
Sweet!!!
-Willie
Post a Comment