7
A metallic beep sounded in Dasa Hale’s office. She shot off of her cot and darted over to her desk. She grabbed the telotransmitter off her desk.
“Lieutenant Dasa Edison Hale speaking, recognition code 334-8972.”
“Hale. This is High General Martinet, you have something I want.”
“High General…” Dasa was shocked. “I’m honored. What is it you wanted?”
“Danae Maarplot.”
A look of pleased surprise crossed Dasa’s face.
“I want her delivered to me safely by tomorrow evening. Don’t be too rough with her. I have someone else to do that. Communication terminated.” A vicious grin spread across Cassandra’s face as she set the telotransmitter down. She looked up at Tophat, who was sitting in a chair across from her.
“Will you make one of the personal containment units ready for our guest?” a laugh bubbled in her throat as Tophat left the room.
❂
Finally! I’ll be rid of that troublemaker Maarplot. And I’m sure she’ll get the punishment she deserves for healing Acasia. I hope that High General Martinet disposes of her quickly.
Dasa was at the door of Danae’s cell, she punched in a code and the door opened.
“Get up, Maarplot. You’re to be transferred.”
Danae sat straight up; she had not been sleeping, and had heard Dasa coming.
“Very well.” Danae stood and followed Dasa.
❂
Tophat entered a small, dimly lit chamber. He looked around quickly to make sure everything was in order. He nodded, then walked out of the chamber and back to Cassandra’s office.
“All is in order, General Martinet.”
“Good, good. But Tophat… you really must call me Cassandra, all my closest associates do.”
“All right Ge… Cassandra.”
Very good. Very good, I’m getting him tighter into my grip. Once I have him and Maarplot under control- or, in Maarplot’s case, dead- the Underground will have nothing left to go on, and I will once again be in complete control of this pitiful world.
❂
In about two hours, Danae found herself standing on the concrete platform of an old Maglev station. She looked around, knowing that this was the worst form of transportation possible. The trains were rickety, the electromagnets were old, and the form of electricity used to power them was outdated. These trains often derailed. She was surprised when she saw a highly armoured Regime transport pod pull into the station, hovering a few centimeters above the tracks. A look of complete dismay crossed her face when the person inside stepped out. It was Tophat, but he was dressed in the dull green uniform of a Regime officer.
“You’re Danae Maarplot?” he asked.
“Yes.” She answered as she felt her heart sink into her stomach.
“You are to come with me.”
She took a step towards the pod, and almost stopped, but continued walking. Tophat took hold of her arm and led her up into the pod. She tensed at his touch; it was familiar, but frighteningly distant.
“Sit there.” He ordered, pointing to a hard bench on the inside of the vehicle. Danae sat.
That can’t be Tophat… what did they do to him? - - Brain wash! Josh it!
❂
Abi made her way into the room that she shared with Acasia, her sister. She pressed a button next to the door and it slid open, immediately she was hit by her sister’s triumphant thoughts.
“You turned Danae in!” Abi condemned.
“Yes.” Her sister replied coolly. “How did you know?”
“I could tell.” Disdain was heavy in the young girl’s voice.
“Well, it needed to be done. She broke the rules, and I have it on good authority that she was a troublemaker anyway. She was assigned to our department for punishment because she was out of her cell after curfew, for which, I might add, you were almost late.”
“Where did you hear that? And I was almost late, but I wasn’t.” Abi said, mocking Acasia’s tones. Abi had not needed to ask the question, she already knew that her sister was friendly with Dasa Hale.
“You need to go to bed, little girl.”
Abi remained outwardly calm; she knew exactly what her sister wanted.
“I’m not a little girl anymore.” she said smoothly, “And you’re not in charge of me.”
“Yes I am. You know as well as I do that I was told to take care of you.”
“Told by Dasa!” Abi spat. “I, personally, don’t care what Dasa Hale, Cassandra Martinet, or any other member of the Regime say about me!”
“You aren’t authorized to call High General Martinet by her first name!”
“Why not? I knew her just as well as you did before she inherited the Regime. I don’t see why I can’t call her by her first name. Why is it so disrespectful? You do it all the time. And you shouldn’t have turned Danae in, she helped you, Acasia, you would have died.” And I wouldn’t have cared.
“She broke the rules. It was necessary. And you should care what the members of the Regime say about you, especially Dasa Hale, because she is in charge of this camp.”
Abi’s mouth curved into a sneer. “Work camp. Exactly what it isn’t. Acasia, you know what this camp is, don’t you remember the ancient History, this is like the Concentration Camps in
“Just like you said, Little Girl, that’s ancient History. Ancient. And now it’s time for you to go to bed.”
Abi fumed, but did as she was told.
❂
Several hours later, Danae and Tophat arrived at the Regime Headquarters.
“This way” Tophat said as he led her through the halls to Cassandra’s office. They entered and Cassandra stood to greet them. She was an imposingly beautiful sight. Her long, dust-colored hair streamed down her shoulders, which were covered by a pure white tunic. Even in the dim light of her office, her golden eyes glinted brightly. Her eyes were framed by long, black lashes and her nose and mouth had a saucy curve making them very inviting. But in all the beauty of her well-defined face there was a certain defiling quality that perverted it, and somehow made one want to look at it more.
“Hello, Danae.” Cassandra spoke smoothly. “I am Cassandra Martinet; I have been looking forward to meeting you for quite a while. I hope you will find your stay here comfortable. We have already prepared a room for you, and I expect that you will find the board fitting for your status.” Cassandra’s eyes flicked to Tophat. “You may take her to her room now.”
As Danae and Tophat walked down the hall away from the office, they heard laughter echoing behind them.
No comments:
Post a Comment