2/23/08

Jayzn

~Pronunciation and Glossary~

Asha: Fire

Caiacin: SI a sin, a large, deep lake in the northern part of the world.

Jayzn: JAY zin.

Khael: Kale, an animal similar to a badger. Khaeling: Badgering

Krecta: Kresta

Kufi: a unit of money, equivalent to about 15 cents.

Saenar: SAY nar, speed
~The
Forest~

I crossed the stone path through the river carefully, if I fell, the results would be disastrous. I had something important; it needed to be delivered safely. The moons shone bright overhead, but their light was not reassuring. Not tonight. The stars seemed like blades stabbing into me, reminding me of the danger around me. The fate of so many rested on my shoulders, in the sack slung over my shoulder, I carried papers that would end one war and begin another. I wrapped my rough wool cloak closer around me, to keep the biting winter air from numbing my limbs any more than it all ready had.

The moons slowly began to sink in the east, and the western sky began to change from its eerie shade of grey to the normal light blue of the dawn sky. I made my way through the thick underbrush of the forest, making as little noise as I could.

A branch snapped behind me and a rasping sound similar to that of a creaking door chilled me to the bone. I reached for the small dagger strapped around my waist inside of my shirt. I kept walking, but clutched the knife tightly, hoping the creature wouldn’t attack. The sound came again, blood-curdlingly close. I quickened my pace. Again the sound came, only a few meters behind me this time. My heart began pounding against my spine. I began to run. I could feel the blood coursing through the arteries close to my skin. Fear is a powerful master, and its whips snapped constantly at my back. The sound again. Running. The sound, closer. Closer. Closer. A weight slammed into my back and I cried out as my face hit the root knolled ground. I rolled over quickly, shedding my cloak and pack. I had the dagger ready for anything, the creature leapt at me again I plunged my weapon into it, but it was not daunted.

“Asha!” I yelled, a blue bolt of flame shot out from my hand and the creature was instantly consumed. I quickly donned my cloak and sack and began to run.

“Saenar.” I whispered and began to run faster than the revolution of the sun around the earth. Soon my energy was exhausted and I was forced to stop, but when I did the sky was the normal pink and the clouds dyed purple by the silver light of the morning. I fell onto my side, my cells screaming for the carbon dioxide they so desperately needed. After a few moments I sat and ran my hand through the streams of red hair flowing from my scalp. I surveyed my surroundings, I was about 20 kilometers from the nearest town, which I could see clearly to the north. I looked back southwest where I had come from; the forest was 80 kilometers away and blurry. Once I had regained my strength, and my blood ran properly so that I could barely feel it, I set out walking again. The village was my next stop.

~The Village~

About and hour later I reached the small town of Lfetheart. I walked towards a disreputable looking wooden building at the end of the one street that ran through the centre of the town. A surprisingly neat sign hung over the door, fresh paint told the name of the building was the Inn of the Sparrow. I pushed open the door that was barely more than a few boards held together with crumbling leather straps. I was greeted by a plump, comfortable looking woman.

“Welcome, welcome! Come right in! I hope you’ll find my humble Inn to be satisfactory for your stay, and I do hope you’re going to stay… not many people do these days…” her face dimmed, then quickly brightened, “It’s the looks of the place, Nichodemus hasn’t had much time to fix it up, but the sky knows I’ve been khaeling him about it long enough. But you didn’t come here to listen to an old woman prattle on and on about her troubles, is there anything I can get you that will make your stay more comfortable Madam…?”

“Jayzn, no Madam. Yet And just some ale will do nicely.” I nodded. The old woman bustled off to a kitchen and I sat down at one of the three tables that were strewn around the room that didn’t seem to have been dusted in a year. I looked around at the room. There was the door to the outside, then one to the kitchen, and a third, presumably headed to rooms. There was one window on the wall opposite me, but it desperately needed new parchment and most of the light came in through cracks in the walls.

After a few moments the lady returned carrying a pewter mug frothing over with cold ale.

“Now, Madam, what is your name?” I asked politely, with a nod in thanks for the ale.

“Oh me, my name.” she laughed nervously, “My name is… Krecta. No Madam.”

I surveyed her coolly. She had a frizz of brown hair around her head, though it could barely count for anything. She was gaudily dressed in every colour imaginable. But what struck me the most were her eyes. They were the colour of the Caiacin lake, and just as deep, I could not believe that she was as old as she pretended to be, she moved too smoothly, and those impenetrable eyes.

“Now it is my turn for a question. Where do you come from?”

“Today I come from the south. And if we are going to play at questions, then it is only fair that they all get answered honestly.”

“Very well.”

“Now it is my turn. What are you? For, I cannot believe that you are as old as you seem.”

“I am a being.” I raised my eyebrows.

“A being? Is that all?”

“Perhaps not, but now you have asked two questions and I none. That is unfair.”

“So it is, ask your questions.”

“Why are you here and where are you going?”

“I am here to rest and become refreshed and I am going to the north. Where are the people in this town?”

Krecta laughed nervously again. “The people? Why… they are in their houses of course.” She stood quickly, “I’m sorry, I have things to attend to.” I noticed that she stood unusually straight for an old woman. She hurried off to the kitchen muttering as she went. I finished the ale, and, feeling quite refreshed, left three kufi on the table and left the Inn.

I wrote this last night, have fun, and COMMENTATE!!!!!

No comments: